A Brief History of the Town of Benton
Seneca Lake forms the eastern border of the town, with Torrey to the southeast, Milo and Jerusalem to the south, Potter along the west, and Ontario County marks the northern boundary. The village of Penn Yan is located near the south central border. Named for Levi Benton, one of the original settlers of the area, benton settlement was originally plotted at a crossroads location in the geographic center of the town, and was appropriately named Benton Center. Farming and related agricultural businesses have always been important economic activities in Benton. The many farmsteads spread out across the township are proof of the excellent soils that make up the exceptional cropland, orchards, vineyards, and pastureland. Other important activities in the early development in the town included brick-making, fruit farming, and the milling of flour and wood from water power on the Kashong Creek. You can download a copy of the School House #6 Restoration Brochure (pdf format) by clicking on the two links on the left. One is for the inside and one for the outside of the brochure.
Eleanor Parker, Historian
1000 Route 14A, Penn Yan, NY 14527
Email (via Town Clerk): firstname.lastname@example.org